Outlook Live @ Hopkins is your Johns Hopkins email account
You will need to do 2 things to start using your new Outlook Live @ Hopkins email account
- Accept the Outlook Live Terms of Service at the bottom of this screen
- Perform the 1st Time Login process for Outlook Live @ Hopkins
Outlook Live @ Hopkins is a Microsoft cloud-based email system that uses a Windows Live user id and password.
Your Windows Live id is your JHEDID@live.johnshopkins.edu and the initial password will be your 2-digit birth month, 2-digit birthday and last 5 digits of social Security number. Example: 092712345
Once you have accepted the Outlook Live Terms of Service at the bottom of this screen you will be taken back to the main portal page. Click on the Outlook Live Quick Link on the left.
Please note that the new password you will set on the Outlook Live site is separate and independent from the JHED password that you use to log in to the portal and other internal JHU sites:
- JHED password is used to access internal JHU services and the enterprise portal, including the Outlook Live link in the portal
- Outlook Live password is used to access Outlook Live email when not logging in through the JHU enterprise portal, Outlook Live instant messaging, shared SkyDrive folders, and other related Microsoft service
For more on JHU identification numbers and passwords, click here.
Outlook Live Terms of Service
1. Microsoft Outlook Live, as operated by Microsoft Corporation for the Johns Hopkins University ("JHU"), is a web-based e-mail, messaging, calendaring, and data storage service allowing access to the Internet, private networks and other Microsoft services. Outlook Live is available only to those users found in the Johns Hopkins Enterprise Directory (JHED) and is accessible via an authorized personal computer or workstation having a communications connection (e.g. Local Area Network (LAN) connection, modem, DSL or cable modem).
2. CAREFULLY READ the terms of this agreement, which governs your use of the Outlook Live system. JHU may modify this agreement at any time and in any manner. Your continued use of the Outlook Live system following any modification to this Agreement shall be conclusively deemed an acceptance of all such modification(s).
3. Violation of the terms of this agreement is grounds for disciplinary action, which could include but is not limited to verbal and written warnings, revocation of access privileges, termination of employment or student status, and criminal prosecution.
4. The Outlook Live system is for the private use of authorized users in the conduct of JHU business. You ("User") agree not to use the system for any other purpose.
5. User understands that an account authorizing access to the Outlook Live system is granted to an individual on an as-needed basis and that sharing of accounts and disclosure of passwords to unauthorized personnel is expressly forbidden. User acknowledges that he or she is solely responsible for all actions resulting from the use of his or her account.
Prohibited Uses and Behaviors
6. User expressly agrees not to use the Outlook Live system in a manner that is prohibited by any law, regulation, or JHU policy or to facilitate the violation of any law, regulation, or JHU policy. User further agrees not to use the Outlook Live system in a manner that will disrupt third parties' use or enjoyment of the Outlook Live system or other communications services and outlets. User acknowledges that prohibited conduct includes, but is not limited to: use of the Outlook Live system for any commercial purpose, use of the Outlook Live system to invade the privacy of third parties, posting via e-mail or other medium abusive, profane, libelous, slanderous, threatening or otherwise harassing material, posting or propagation of chain letters, posting or propagation of "SPAM" or other unsolicited commercial material, and manipulation of routing information and/or message/packet headers for the purpose of obfuscating the packet or message origin.
7. User acknowledges that mass posting (the transmission of a single message to a large number recipients or the transmission of extremely large messages or multiple, substantially similar messages to any number of recipients, whether solicited, noncommercial, or otherwise) imposes a tremendous burden on the Outlook Live system because of its excessive use of disk space and network bandwidth. User agrees not to engage in such transmissions, unless prior approval is granted by either the JH University Office of Public Affairs or the JH Medicine Office of Public Affairs.
Security and Monitoring
8. Use of the Outlook Live system constitutes a consent to monitoring at all times. If monitoring of this or any other JHU computer system reveals possible evidence of violation of criminal statutes, this evidence and any other related information, including identification information about User, may be provided to law enforcement officials. If monitoring of this or any other JHU computer system reveals violations of security regulations or unauthorized use, this evidence and any other related information may be provided to appropriate JHU management officials.
9. User agrees not to violate, tamper with, or attempt to circumvent the security of the Outlook Live system, or to use the Outlook Live system to violate, tamper with, or attempt to circumvent the security of any system accessible through the Outlook Live system.
10. JHU reserves the right to restrict or deny access and service to any entity which, in the sole opinion of JHU, poses unnecessary risk or burden to JHU Mail systems.
Protection of Information
11. User understands that information available through the Outlook Live system may be confidential or proprietary and expressly agrees to actively protect such information from unauthorized disclosure. User further understands that all information available through the Outlook Live system, whether confidential, proprietary, or otherwise, is disseminated only on a "need to know" basis and that the ability to access any piece of information, in and of itself, does not authorize access to that information.
12. Material accessible to User through the Outlook Live system may be copyrighted. Except as expressly permitted by the copyright holder of the material, User may not reproduce, redistribute, retransmit, publish or otherwise transfer, or commercially exploit, any material which they access or receive through the Outlook Live system.
Notification and Cooperation
13. User agrees to immediately notify JHU email systems management of any known, suspected, or potential unauthorized access to or use of any confidential or proprietary information, Outlook Live system, or third-party system accessed through the Outlook Live system.
14. User agrees to cooperate with JHU email systems management in the investigation of any known, suspected, or potential unauthorized access to or use of confidential or proprietary information, Outlook Live system, or third-party system accessed through the Outlook Live system.
System Resources and Capacity Management
15. User understands and agrees to the following storage limitations of the Outlook Live system. System resources such as disk space are associated with a cost and it is our desire to allocate the space so that it meets service levels and yet is cost effective. The user, therefore, agrees to maintain their personal Outlook Live account and associated disk space within the following quotas:
10 GB Inbox
7 GB Skydrive
5 GB Office Live Workspace
Terms of Service, May 28, 2009