Skip Navigation

Transfer and Advanced Placement

Sources of Credit

Students must complete most of the requirements for a degree or diploma through credits earned for courses taken at Peabody as a matriculated student.However, students may transfer some credits taken at accredited post-secondary schools or through the accelerated testing of recognized providers (such as the College Board or International Baccalaureate).


Like most conservatories, Peabody does not accept transfer credits for lessons, juries or recitals. For transfer students, the year of study (sophomore or junior) is determined by the department at the time of the audition and validated by the year-end departmental jury. Peabody does not accept transfer credits for Ensembles. Performance majors must participate in ensembles in every semester of instruction. Transfer students must participate in ensembles for at least two years.

Distance Learning

It is a policy of the Johns Hopkins University that students may not take online courses from another institution while taking classes during the regular fall or spring semesters. Over intersession and the summer, students may take online courses provided the courses are offered by an accredited institution.

Transfer Credits

All other transfer credits are accepted pending the submission of the necessary documentation to the Conservatory Registrar and at the discretion of department chairs in consultation with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Peabody can only transfer credits for students who have already matriculated into degree or diploma programs.New students are welcome to contact us before enrolling, but cannot begin the process until students enroll in classes.

Undergraduate Students

Accelerated Credit

For undergraduate students, accelerated work in high school is only accepted on the basis of an examination that is documented with scores mailed directly to the Conservatory Registrar. Superior scores of either a 4 or a 5 on the Advanced Placement Examinations or a 50 on the CLEP, administered by the College Board, or a 6 or 7 on the International Baccalaureate Exam may be accepted. Credits for courses taken at another accredited college or university may only be accepted on receipt of a transcript demonstrating a grade of “C” or better.

The requirements for each area of study are detailed as follows:

Music Theory

The Department of Music Theory does not accept transfer credits at the undergraduate level. Advanced placement in music theory is only possible on the basis of the Advanced Placement Undergraduate Exam in Music Theory (AP-UGrad) during Orientation, which includes part-writing, analysis, and counterpoint. Samples of this examination are available from the Admissions Office or

Music History

The Musicology Department considers transfer credits on a case-by-case basis. Undergraduates may not apply more than two courses from other institutions towards their Peabody undergraduate degrees, and they must receive at least a “B” in any courses transferred. Advanced Placement courses in musicology or music history cannot be counted toward the undergraduate musicology curriculum.


For Humanities, advanced placement and transfer determinations are made by the Humanities Department chair in consultation with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.The Humanities department will only accept six credits of AP, IB, or CLEP work for the Humanities curriculum. However, the Associate Dean may approve additional credits as general electives.

Transfer credits from an accredited college or university that fulfill humanities distribution requirements are also accepted. Students should confer with the Humanities Department chair to review the articulation of credits from other schools and how it affects their curriculum.

Because the State of Maryland requires specific coursework for teacher certification, the Music Education faculty directly oversees the Humanities curriculum for students in the Music Education program. Music Education students should contact the Chair of Music Education about transferring AP or IB credits and consult with the chair before enrolling in liberal arts courses at other institutions.

General Electives

Additional AP, IB, or CLEP credits as well as credits taken at other accredited colleges may be transferred as general electives, pending approval of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.

Graduate Students

A maximum of six credits of graduate study completed at other accredited institutions may be applied to degree or diploma programs at Peabody, with the review and approval of department chairs and the Associate Dean. Only credits which have not been earned in fulfillment of a previous degree may be transferred.All credits transferred to a graduate degree or diploma program must have been earned within five years prior to first graduate degree registration at Peabody.

Continuing Graduate Students

Peabody alumni continuing to subsequent programs of study or Peabody students transferring between programs (e.g., from the GPD to the MM program) may transfer more than six credits of work competed at Peabody with the permission their major teachers and the oversight of the Associate Dean. Only credits which have not been earned in fulfillment of a previous degree may be transferred between programs.In some cases, the Associate Dean may refer such transfers to the Graduate Committee or the Doctoral Committee for advice and consent.